The Probate Court has exclusive jurisdiction to finalize adoptions in Miami County. Those wishing to adopt are required to submit to a personal and home investigation to insure their suitability as adoptive parents. The hearing and records are confidential by law.
Who can Adopt?
- Husband and wife, together
- Unmarried adult
Who can be Adopted?
- A minor child
- An adult, who:
- If totally or permanently disabled
- If found to be mentally retarded
- If the adult has established a child-foster-caregiver or child-stepparent relationship with the petitioners as a minor and consents to the adoption
- If the adult was in a planned permanent living arrangement with a public children services or private child placing agency and the adult consents to the adoption
- If the adult is the child of the spouse of the petitioner, and the adult consents to the adoption
Links to Additional Information/Forms:
Adoption - Adult
Adoption - Minor Petition
Adoption - Pre-Placement
Adoption – Recognition of Foreign Birth Record
Frequently Asked Questions