Marriage License Requirements
- Applicants must appear together, in person at Probate Court. Please allow one (1) hour to complete the application process.
- The cost of the license is $50.00. CASH ONLY.
- Certified Copies of your marriage license, needed to prove the marriage, are $2 each. They can be obtained at the Court, after the court receives the marriage certificate return from the person who performed your wedding ceremony. You may, however, request at the time you obtain your license, that the Court mail you your certified copies. The cost for this is $5, which is paid at the time you get your license. Once the Court receives the return, two certified copies will be mailed to you.
- If you are an Ohio resident, you must apply for your marriage license in the county in which one of you resides. You may be married anywhere in the state of Ohio. If both applicants are out of state residents they must obtain their license in the Ohio County where the marriage ceremony will be performed.
- A valid identification is required for each applicant (valid driver’s license, state ID. birth certificate, passport or other Immigration and Naturalization Service (I.N.S.) Visa). You may contact the court for additional forms of ID.
- If either applicant has been previously married and divorced:
- A file-stamped copy of the final order granting the divorce or dissolution is required for the most recent divorce/dissolution.
- There is no waiting period. The license may be used the day it is issued and is valid for 60 days. The day of issuance is day one.
- No blood tests are required.
- Please contact the Probate court if an interpreter is needed.
- If either applicant is under 18 years of age:
- A minor less than 17 years old may not marry is Ohio.
- If either applicant is age 17, the minor may only be issued a marriage license with the consent of the Juvenile Court and following a 14-day waiting period after the Juvenile Court order of consent is filed with the Probate Court. The 17 year old may not marry someone more than 4 years, to the day, older than the 17 year old.
- Marriage Counseling Form (PDF) required.
Please see our Main Page for any upcoming court closings